Our kitchens are true arsenals for keeping us healthy during the cold and flu season. They are loaded with antivirals, anti-bacterials, antiseptics, and so much more. You can think of them as a place for your Kitchen Witch to find Sanctuary and for his/her authentic creativity to shine.
I want to share with you this Folk Remedy for getting rid of pesky coughs. Folk Remedies are passed down through oral tradition, rather than through Scientific research. Most of us can think of at least 1 quirky remedy we remember someone in our family sharing with us at some point.
This is how we keep the traditions alive!
Here is one of my favorite Folk Remedies passed down through my family. It is a combination of common kitchen ingredients that come together to make a tasty syrup to clear out thick congestion in the lungs.
Garlic, Onion, and Honey Cough Syrup
This is a simple way to use the power and medicinal benefits of honey to infuse the healing properties of garlic and onion.
Why Garlic and Onion?
Garlic and Onion are like the”girl/boy scouts” in the kitchen. This means they are pretty much a bad-ass at nearly everything! They are anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and antiviral. Plus, they are well known for their ability to decrease bronchial spasms. Onions, specifically, have the ability to act as a super absorber as well. This means that they will clear the mucus in the bronchial.
Ingredients and Tools needed:
– 1-quart mason jar with lid
– 1 large sweet onion
– 2-3 bulbs of garlic
– 1 quart of honey (local and raw is best)
- Peel and cut the whole onion, set aside (Big giant rings are fine.)
- Peel and chop the garlic, set aside
- Start layering the onion rings, chopped garlic, and honey in the mason jar.
- Continue this process of layering until you fill the mason jar. Leave about 1-inch headspace at the top.
- Place the lid on the mason jar.
- Let this sit for at least 10 hours. You will notice the honey will start to break down the onion and garlic. If there is still onion and garlic left after the 10 hours, that is okay. You can just continue to let the onion and garlic macerate in the honey.
- After the 10 hours, the syrup is ready to be consumed. It doesn’t need to be refrigerated.
Suggested Use for Adults:
1 large Tbsp. 4-6 times daily
Suggested Use for Children:
1/2 Tbsp. 4-6 times daily
You may enjoy it straight or mixed into hot water with lemon.